To superintend the publication of; to revise and prepare for publication; to select, correct, arrange, etc., the matter of, for publication; as, to edit a newspaper.
- To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.
- To prepare an edition of for publication: edit a collection of short stories.
- To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable: edited her remarks for presentation to a younger audience.
- To supervise the publication of (a newspaper or magazine, for example).
- To assemble the components of (a film or soundtrack, for example), as by cutting and splicing.
- To eliminate; delete: edited the best scene out.
- An act or instance of editing: made several last-minute edits for reasons of space.
- edit in To insert during the course of editing: An additional scene was edited in before the show was aired.
- edit out To delete during the course of editing: A controversial scene was edited out of the film.