Having the power to produce an effect or effects; producing a decided or decisive effect; efficient; serviceable; operative; as, an effective force, remedy, speech; the effective men in a regiment.
- Having an intended or expected effect.
- Producing a strong impression or response; striking: gave an effective performance as Othello.
- Operative; in effect: The law is effective immediately.
- Existing in fact; actual: a decline in the effective demand.
- Prepared for use or action, especially in warfare.
- A soldier or a piece of military equipment that is ready for combat: "The 'company' was no more than two platoons of effectives” ( Tom Clancy).