The oval or roundish body laid by domestic poultry and other birds, tortoises, etc. It consists of a yolk, usually surrounded by the "white" or albumen, and inclosed in a shell or strong membrane.
- A female gamete; an ovum. Also called egg cell.
- The round or oval female reproductive body of various animals, including birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, and insects, consisting usually of an embryo surrounded by nutrient material and a protective covering.
- The oval, thin-shelled reproductive body of a bird, especially that of a hen, used as food.
- Something having the ovoid shape of an egg.
- Slang A fellow; a person: He's a good egg.
- To cover with beaten egg, as in cooking.
- Slang To throw eggs at.
- egg on (one's) face Informal Embarrassment; humiliation: If you do that, you'll end up with egg on your face.
- lay an egg Informal To fail, especially in a public performance.
- put Informal To risk everything on a single venture.
- To encourage or incite to action. Used with on: The racing fans egged their favorites on.