Chosen; taken by preference from among two or more.
- To select by vote for an office or for membership.
- To pick out; select: elect an art course.
- To decide, especially by preference: elected to take the summer off.
- To select by divine will for salvation. Used of God.
- To make a choice or selection.
- Chosen deliberately; singled out.
- Elected but not yet installed. Often used in combination: the governor-elect.
- Chosen for marriage. Often used in combination: the bride-elect.
- Selected by divine will for salvation.
- One that is chosen or selected.
- One selected by divine will for salvation.
- An exclusive group of people. Used with the: one of the elect who have power inside the government.