To be at the charges of; to take or keep in one's service; to maintain; to support; to harbor; to keep.
- To hold the attention of with something amusing or diverting. See Synonyms at amuse.
- To extend hospitality toward: entertain friends at dinner.
- To consider; contemplate: entertain an idea.
- To hold in mind; harbor: entertained few illusions.
- Archaic To continue with; maintain.
- Obsolete To employ; hire.
- To give admittance to; receive.
- To show hospitality to guests.
- To provide entertainment.