The state of surpassing or going beyond limits; the being of a measure beyond sufficiency, necessity, or duty; that which exceeds what is usual or proper; immoderateness; superfluity; superabundance; extravagance; as, an excess of provisions or of light.
- The state of exceeding what is normal or sufficient: rains that filled the reservoirs to excess.
- An amount or quantity beyond what is normal or sufficient; a surplus.
- The amount or degree by which one quantity exceeds another: Profit is the excess of sales over costs.
- Intemperance; overindulgence: drank to excess.
- A behavior or an action that exceeds proper or lawful bounds: tried to avoid engaging in emotional excesses such as hysteria and fits of temper.
- Being more than is usual, required, or permitted: skimming off the excess fat. See Synonyms at superfluous.
- To eliminate the job or position of.
- in excess of Greater than; more than: unit sales in excess of 20 million.