To wait for; to await.
- To look forward to the probable occurrence or appearance of: expecting a telephone call; expects rain on Sunday.
- To consider likely or certain: expect to see them soon. See Usage Note at anticipate.
- To consider reasonable or due: We expect an apology.
- To consider obligatory; require: The school expects its pupils to be on time.
- Informal To presume; suppose.
- To look forward to the birth of one's child. Used in progressive tenses: His sister is expecting in May.
- To be pregnant. Used in progressive tenses: My wife is expecting again.