A trial or special observation, made to confirm or disprove something doubtful; esp., one under conditions determined by the experimenter; an act or operation undertaken in order to discover some unknown principle or effect, or to test, establish, or illustrate some suggested or known truth; practical test; proof.
- A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.
- The process of conducting such a test; experimentation.
- An innovative act or procedure: "Democracy is only an experiment in government” ( William Ralph Inge).
- The result of experimentation: "We are not [nature's] only experiment” ( R. Buckminster Fuller).
- To conduct an experiment.
- To try something new, especially in order to gain experience: experiment with new methods of teaching.