Ability to act or perform, whether inborn or cultivated; capacity for any natural function; especially, an original mental power or capacity for any of the well-known classes of mental activity; psychical or soul capacity; capacity for any of the leading kinds of soul activity, as knowledge, feeling, volition; intellectual endowment or gift; power; as, faculties of the mind or the soul.
- An inherent power or ability.
- Any of the powers or capacities possessed by the human mind. See Synonyms at ability.
- The ability to perform or act.
- Any of the divisions or comprehensive branches of learning at a college or university: the faculty of law.
- The teachers and instructors within such a division.
- A body of teachers.
- All of the members of a learned profession: the medical faculty.
- Authorization granted by authority; conferred power.
- Archaic An occupation; a trade.