A diseased state of the system, marked by increased heat, acceleration of the pulse, and a general derangement of the functions, including usually, thirst and loss of appetite. Many diseases, of which fever is the most prominent symptom, are denominated fevers; as, typhoid fever; yellow fever.
- Abnormally high body temperature.
- Any of various diseases characterized by abnormally high body temperature.
- A condition of heightened activity or excitement: a fever of anticipation.
- A contagious, usually short-lived enthusiasm or craze: disco fever.
- To effect fever in.
- To be or become feverish.