- To make fixed, stable, or stationary.
- To focus one's eyes or attention on: fixate a faint object.
- To command the attention of exclusively or repeatedly; preoccupy obsessively: "TV and newspapers were fixated on high-technology as the solution to almost everything” ( Jay Walljasper).
- Psychology To attach (oneself) to a person or thing in an immature or neurotic fashion.
- Psychology In classical psychoanalysis, to cause (the libido) to be arrested at an early stage of psychosexual development.
- To focus the eyes or attention.
- Psychology To become attached to a person or thing in an immature or pathological way; form a fixation.
- Psychology To be arrested at an early stage of psychosexual development.