The fleshy or muscular part of the side of an animal, between the ribs and the hip. See Illust. of Beef.
- The section of flesh on the body of a person or an animal between the last rib and the hip; the side.
- A cut of meat from the flank of an animal.
- A lateral part or side: the flank of a mountain.
- The right or left side of a military formation: an attack on both flanks.
- The right or left side of a bastion.
- To protect or guard the flank of.
- To menace or attack the flank of.
- To be placed or situated at the flank or side of: Two stone lions flanked the entrance.
- To put (something) on each side of: flanked the driveway with tall shrubs.