Dug out of the earth; as, fossil coal; fossil salt.
- A remnant or trace of an organism of a past geologic age, such as a skeleton or leaf imprint, embedded and preserved in the earth's crust.
- One, such as a rigid theory, that is outdated or antiquated.
- Linguistics A word or morpheme that is used only in certain restricted contexts, as kempt in unkempt, but is otherwise obsolete.
- Linguistics An archaic syntactic rule or pattern used only in idioms, as so be it.
- Characteristic of or having the nature of a fossil.
- Being or similar to a fossil.
- Belonging to the past; antiquated.