To feed; to nourish; to support; to bring up.
- To bring up; nurture: bear and foster offspring. See Synonyms at nurture.
- To promote the growth and development of; cultivate: detect and foster artistic talent. See Synonyms at advance.
- To nurse; cherish: foster a secret hope.
- Providing parental care and nurture to children not related through legal or blood ties: foster parents; foster grandparents; a foster home.
- Receiving parental care and nurture from those not related to one through legal or blood ties: foster children.