A pledge or pawn; something laid down or given as a security for the performance of some act by the person depositing it, and forfeited by nonperformance; security.
- Something deposited or given as security against an obligation; a pledge.
- Something, such as a glove, that is offered or thrown down as a pledge or challenge to fight.
- A challenge.
- Archaic To pledge as security.
- Archaic To offer as a stake in a bet; wager.
- Any of several varieties of plum, such as the greengage.
- Variant of gauge.