A square or beveled notch cut out of a girder, binding joist, or other timber which supports a floor beam, so as to receive the end of the floor beam.
- To come into possession or use of; acquire: gained a small fortune in real estate; gained vital information about the enemy's plans.
- To attain in competition or struggle; win: gained a decisive victory; gained control of the company.
- To obtain through effort or merit; achieve: gain recognition; gain a hearing for the proposal.
- To secure as profit or reward; earn: gain a living; gain extra credits in school.
- To manage to achieve an increase of: a movement that gained strength; gained wisdom with age.
- To increase by (a specific amount): gained 15 pounds; the market gained 30 points.
- To come to; reach: gained the top of the mountain. See Synonyms at reach.
- To become fast by (a specified amount of time). Used of a timepiece: My watch gains four minutes a day.
- To increase; grow: gained in experience and maturity; a painting that gained in value.
- To become better; improve: gaining in health.
- To obtain a profit or advantage; benefit: stood to gain politically by his opponent's blunder.
- To close a gap; get closer: The runners in the back gained steadily on the leader.
- To increase a lead.
- To put on weight: I began to gain when I went off my diet.
- To operate or run fast. Used of a timepiece.
- Something gained or acquired: territorial gains.
- Progress; advancement: The country made economic gains under the new government.
- The act of acquiring; attainment.
- An increase in amount or degree: a gain in operating income.
- Electronics An increase in signal power, voltage, or current by an amplifier, expressed as the ratio of output to input. Also called amplification.
- gain ground To progress, advance, or increase: Stock prices gained ground yesterday.
- gain time To run too fast. Used of a timepiece.
- gain time To delay or prolong something until a desired event occurs.
- A notch or mortise cut into a board to receive another part.
- To cut out a gain in.
- To join by or fit into a gain.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
നേട്ടം - Nettam ;ഈട്ട് - Eettu ;ആര്ജ്ജിക്കുക - Aarjjikkuka | arjjikkuka ;ഫലം - Phalam ;ആലബ്ധി - Aalabdhi | alabdhi ;ജയിക്കുക - Jayikkuka ;