An organ for aquatic respiration; a branchia.
- Zoology The respiratory organ of most aquatic animals that breathe water to obtain oxygen, consisting of a filamentous structure of vascular membranes across which dissolved gases are exchanged.
- The wattle of a bird. Often used in the plural.
- Informal The area around the chin and neck.
- Botany One of the thin, platelike structures on the underside of the cap of a mushroom or similar fungus.
- To catch (fish) in a gill net.
- To gut or clean (fish).
- To become entangled in a gill net. Used of fish.
- to the gills Informal As full as possible; completely.
- A unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in liquid measure, equal to 1/4 of a pint or four ounces (118 milliliters).
- A unit of volume or capacity, used in dry and liquid measure, equal to 1/4 of a British Imperial pint (142 milliliters). See Table at measurement.
- Chiefly British A ravine.
- Chiefly British A narrow stream.
- A girl, often one's sweetheart.