Brightness or luster of a body proceeding from a smooth surface; polish; as, the gloss of silk; cloth is calendered to give it a gloss.
- A surface shininess or luster.
- A cosmetic that adds shine or luster.
- A superficially or deceptively attractive appearance.
- To give a bright sheen or luster to.
- To make attractive or acceptable by deception or superficial treatment: a resumé that glossed over the applicant's lack of experience. See Synonyms at palliate.
- To become shiny or lustrous.
- A brief explanatory note or translation of a difficult or technical expression usually inserted in the margin or between lines of a text or manuscript.
- A collection of such notes; a glossary.
- An extensive commentary, often accompanying a text or publication.
- A purposefully misleading interpretation or explanation.
- To provide (an expression or a text) with a gloss or glosses.
- To give a false interpretation to.