A chisel, with a hollow or semicylindrical blade, for scooping or cutting holes, channels, or grooves, in wood, stone, etc.; a similar instrument, with curved edge, for turning wood.
- A chisel with a rounded, troughlike blade.
- A scooping or digging action, as with such a chisel.
- A groove or hole scooped with or as if with such a chisel.
- Informal A large amount, as of money, exacted or extorted.
- To cut or scoop out with or as if with a gouge: "He began to gouge a small pattern in the sand with his cane” ( Vladimir Nabokov).
- To force out the eye of (a person) with one's thumb.
- To thrust one's thumb into the eye of.
- Informal To extort from.
- Slang To swindle.