Moving by steps; walking; as, gradient automata.
- A rate of inclination; a slope.
- An ascending or descending part; an incline.
- Physics The rate at which a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure, increases or decreases relative to change in a given variable, especially distance.
- Mathematics A vector having coordinate components that are the partial derivatives of a function with respect to its variables.
- Biology A series of progressively increasing or decreasing differences in the growth rate, metabolism, or physiological activity of a cell, organ, or organism.