The science which treats of the principles of language; the study of forms of speech, and their relations to one another; the art concerned with the right use and application of the rules of a language, in speaking or writing.
- The study of how words and their component parts combine to form sentences.
- The study of structural relationships in language or in a language, sometimes including pronunciation, meaning, and linguistic history.
- The system of inflections, syntax, and word formation of a language.
- The system of rules implicit in a language, viewed as a mechanism for generating all sentences possible in that language.
- A normative or prescriptive set of rules setting forth the current standard of usage for pedagogical or reference purposes.
- Writing or speech judged with regard to such a set of rules.
- A book containing the morphologic, syntactic, and semantic rules for a specific language.
- The basic principles of an area of knowledge: the grammar of music.
- A book dealing with such principles.