An allowance of a certain amount of time or distance in starting, granted in a race to the competitor possessing inferior advantages; or an additional weight or other hindrance imposed upon the one possessing superior advantages, in order to equalize, as much as possible, the chances of success; as, the handicap was five seconds, or ten pounds, and the like.
- Sports & Games A race or contest in which contestants are given advantages or compensations to equalize the chances of winning.
- Sports & Games Such an advantage or penalty.
- A physical or mental disability. See Synonyms at disadvantage.
- A hindrance.
- Sports & Games To assign handicaps or a handicap to (a contestant).
- To cause to be at a disadvantage; impede.