Originally, the complete dress, especially in a military sense, of a man or a horse; hence, in general, armor.
- The gear or tackle, other than a yoke, with which a draft animal pulls a vehicle or implement.
- Something resembling such gear or tackle, as the arrangement of straps used to hold a parachute to the body.
- A device that raises and lowers the warp threads on a loom.
- Archaic Armor for a man or horse.
- To put a harness on (a draft animal).
- To fasten by the use of a harness.
- To bring under control and direct the force of: If you can harness your energy, you will accomplish a great deal.
- in harness On duty or at work.