The man or male being (or object personified to which the masculine gender is assigned), previously designated; a pronoun of the masculine gender, usually referring to a specified subject already indicated.
- Used to refer to the man or boy previously mentioned or implied.
- Used to refer to a male animal.
- Usage Problem Used to refer to a person whose gender is unspecified or unknown: "He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence” ( William Blake).
- A male person or animal: Is the cat a he?
- The fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.