An officer whose business was to denounce or proclaim war, to challenge to battle, to proclaim peace, and to bear messages from the commander of an army. He was invested with a sacred and inviolable character.
- A person who carries or proclaims important news; a messenger.
- One that gives a sign or indication of something to come; a harbinger: The crocus is a herald of spring.
- An official whose specialty is heraldry.
- An official formerly charged with making royal proclamations and bearing messages of state between sovereigns.
- An official who formerly made proclamations and conveyed challenges at a tournament.
- To proclaim; announce: cheers that heralded the team's arrival.