- A group of cattle or other domestic animals of a single kind kept together for a specific purpose.
- A number of wild animals of one species that remain together as a group: a herd of elephants.
- A large number of people; a crowd: a herd of stranded passengers.
- The multitude of common people regarded as a mass: "It is the luxurious and dissipated who set the fashions which the herd so diligently follow” ( Henry David Thoreau). See Synonyms at flock1.
- To come together in a herd: The sheep herded for warmth.
- To gather, keep, or drive (animals) in a herd.
- To tend (sheep or cattle).
- To gather and place into a group or mass: herded the children into the auditorium.