Pertaining to, or like, the spine of a herring; especially, characterized by an arrangement of work in rows of parallel lines, which in the alternate rows slope in different directions.
- A pattern consisting of rows of short, slanted parallel lines with the direction of the slant alternating row by row and used in masonry, parquetry, embroidery, and weaving.
- A twilled fabric woven in this pattern.
- Sports A method of climbing a ski slope with the tips of the skis pointed outward.
- To arrange or decorate with a herringbone pattern.
- To produce a herringbone pattern.
- Sports To ascend a ski slope with the ski tips pointed outward.