Serving to discover or find out.
- Of or relating to a usually speculative formulation serving as a guide in the investigation or solution of a problem: "The historian discovers the past by the judicious use of such a heuristic device as the 'ideal type'” ( Karl J. Weintraub).
- Of or constituting an educational method in which learning takes place through discoveries that result from investigations made by the student.
- Computer Science Relating to or using a problem-solving technique in which the most appropriate solution of several found by alternative methods is selected at successive stages of a program for use in the next step of the program.
- A heuristic method or process.
- The study and application of heuristic methods and processes.