To bring to mind by a slight mention or remote allusion; to suggest in an indirect manner; as, to hint a suspicion.
- A slight indication or intimation: wanted to avoid any hint of scandal.
- A brief or indirect suggestion; a tip: stock-trading hints.
- A statement conveying information in an indirect fashion; a clue: Give me a hint about the big news.
- A barely perceptible amount: just a hint of color.
- Archaic An occasion; an opportunity.
- To indicate or make known in an indirect manner.
- To give a hint: wouldn't hint at the true purpose of the meeting. See Synonyms at suggest.