To raise; to lift; to elevate; esp., to raise or lift to a desired elevation, by means of tackle, as a sail, a flag, a heavy package or weight.
- To raise or haul up with or as if with the help of a mechanical apparatus. See Synonyms at lift.
- To raise to one's mouth in order to drink: hoist a few beers.
- To become raised or lifted.
- An apparatus for lifting heavy or cumbersome objects.
- The act of hoisting; a lift.
- Nautical The height or vertical dimension of a flag or of any square sail other than a course.
- Nautical A group of flags raised together as a signal.