The act or state of sustaining, grasping, or retaining.
- Land rented or leased from another.
- Legally owned property, such as land, capital, or stocks. Often used in the plural.
- The collection of books and other reading materials at a library.
- Law A court ruling, especially a ruling on a point of law raised in an official proceeding.
- Sports Illegal use of the arms, hands, body, or playing stick to obstruct the movements of an opponent.
- Tending to impede or delay progress: a holding action.
- Designed for usually short-term storage or retention: a holding tank; a holding cell.