To pine; to lament; to long.
- A fine-grained whetstone for giving a keen edge to a cutting tool.
- A tool with a rotating abrasive tip for enlarging holes to precise dimensions.
- To sharpen on a fine-grained whetstone.
- To perfect or make more intense or effective: a speaker who honed her delivery by long practice.
- hone in To move or advance toward a target or goal: The missiles honed in on the military installation.
- hone in To direct one's attention; focus: The lawyer honed in on the gist of the plaintiff's testimony.
- Informal To whine or moan.
- Informal To hanker; yearn.