To make a low, prolonged sound, like that of a bee in flight; to drone; to murmur; to buzz; as, a top hums.
- To emit a continuous low droning sound like that of the speech sound (m) when prolonged.
- To emit the continuous droning sound of a bee on the wing; buzz.
- To give forth a low continuous drone blended of many sounds: The avenue hummed with traffic.
- To be in a state of busy activity.
- To produce a tune without opening the lips or forming words.
- To sing (a tune) without opening the lips or forming words.
- Baseball To throw or pitch (a ball) very fast.
- The sound produced by humming.
- The act of humming.
- Used to indicate hesitation, surprise, or displeasure.