Near the ground; not high or lofty; not pretentious or magnificent; unpretending; unassuming; as, a humble cottage.
- Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
- Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
- Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.
- To curtail or destroy the pride of; humiliate.
- To cause to be meek or modest in spirit.
- To give a lower condition or station to; abase. See Synonyms at degrade.