Among the Mohammedans, a minister or priest who performs the regular service of the mosque.
- In law and theology, the caliph who is successor to Muhammad as the lawful temporal leader of the Islamic community.
- The male prayer leader in a mosque.
- The Muslim worshiper who leads the recitation of prayer when two or more worshipers are present.
- A male spiritual and temporal leader regarded by Shiites as a descendant of Muhammad divinely appointed to guide humans.
- An earthly representative of the 12 such leaders recognized by the majority form of Shiism.
- Islam A ruler claiming descent from Muhammad and exercising authority in an Islamic state.
- Any one of the founders of the four schools of law and theology.
- An authoritative scholar who founds a school of law or theology.
- Islam Used as a title for an imam.