To compose, recite, or sing extemporaneously, especially in verse; to extemporize; also, to play upon an instrument, or to act, extemporaneously.
- To invent, compose, or perform with little or no preparation.
- To play or sing (music) extemporaneously, especially by inventing variations on a melody or creating new melodies in accordance with a set progression of chords.
- To make or provide from available materials: improvised a dinner from what I found in the refrigerator.
- To invent, compose, or perform something extemporaneously.
- To improvise music.
- To make do with whatever materials are at hand.