Not dependent; free; not subject to control by others; not relying on others; not subordinate; as, few men are wholly independent.
- Not governed by a foreign power; self-governing.
- Free from the influence, guidance, or control of another or others; self-reliant: an independent mind.
- Not determined or influenced by someone or something else; not contingent: a decision independent of the outcome of the study.
- Affiliated with or loyal to no one political party or organization.
- Not dependent on or affiliated with a larger or controlling entity: an independent food store; an independent film.
- Not relying on others for support, care, or funds; self-supporting.
- Providing or being sufficient income to enable one to live without working: a person of independent means.
- Mathematics Not dependent on other variables.
- Mathematics Of or relating to a system of equations no one of which can be derived from another equation in the system.
- Of or relating to the 17th-century English Independents.
- One that is independent, especially a voter, officeholder, or political candidate who is not committed to a political party.
- A member of a movement in England in the 17th century advocating the political and religious independence of individual congregations.
- Chiefly British A Congregationalist.