To lead in; to introduce.
- To lead or move, as to a course of action, by influence or persuasion. See Synonyms at persuade.
- To bring about or stimulate the occurrence of; cause: a drug used to induce labor.
- To infer by inductive reasoning.
- Physics To produce (an electric current or a magnetic charge) by induction.
- Physics To produce (radioactivity, for example) artificially by bombardment of a substance with neutrons, gamma rays, and other particles.
- Biochemistry To initiate or increase the production of (an enzyme or other protein) at the level of genetic transcription.
- Genetics To cause an increase in the transcription of the RNA of (a gene).