The act of indulging or humoring; the quality of being indulgent; forbearance of restrain or control.
- The act or an instance of indulging; gratification: indulgence of every whim.
- The state of being indulgent.
- The act of indulging in something: indulgence in irresponsible behavior.
- Something indulged in: Sports cars are an expensive indulgence.
- Liberal or lenient treatment; tolerance: treated their grandchildren with fond indulgence.
- Self-indulgence: a life of wealth and indulgence.
- Something granted as a favor or privilege.
- Permission to extend the time of payment or performance.
- Patient attention: I beg your indulgence for just a few minutes.
- Roman Catholic Church The remission of temporal punishment still due for a sin that has been sacramentally absolved.
- Roman Catholic Church To attach an indulgence to.