To introduce by a first act; to make a beginning with; to set afoot; to originate; to commence; to begin or enter upon.
- To set going by taking the first step; begin: initiated trade with developing nations. See Synonyms at begin.
- To introduce to a new field, interest, skill, or activity.
- To admit into membership, as with ceremonies or ritual.
- Initiated or admitted, as to membership or a position of authority.
- Instructed in esoteric knowledge.
- Introduced to something new.
- One who is being or has been initiated.
- One who has been introduced to or has attained knowledge in a particular field.