To lay within; hence, to insert, as pieces of pearl, ivory, choice woods, or the like, in a groundwork of some other material; to form an ornamental surface; to diversify or adorn with insertions.
- To set (pieces of wood or ivory, for example) into a surface, usually at the same level, to form a design.
- To decorate by setting in such designs.
- To insert (a photograph, for example) within a mat in a book.
- Contrasting material set into a surface in pieces to form a design.
- A design, pattern, or decoration made by inlaying.
- Dentistry A solid filling, as of gold or porcelain, fitted to a cavity in a tooth and cemented into place.