The act of inspiring or breathing in; breath; specif. (Physiol.), the drawing of air into the lungs, accomplished in mammals by elevation of the chest walls and flattening of the diaphragm; -- the opposite of expiration.
- Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.
- The condition of being so stimulated.
- An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention.
- Something, such as a sudden creative act or idea, that is inspired.
- The quality of inspiring or exalting: a painting full of inspiration.
- Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul of humankind.
- The act of drawing in, especially the inhalation of air into the lungs.