The act or process of instituting; as:
- The act of instituting.
- A custom, practice, relationship, or behavioral pattern of importance in the life of a community or society: the institutions of marriage and the family.
- Informal One long associated with a specified place, position, or function.
- An established organization or foundation, especially one dedicated to education, public service, or culture.
- The building or buildings housing such an organization.
- A place for the care of persons who are destitute, disabled, or mentally ill.