The act of leaping on; onset; attack.
- To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness. See Synonyms at offend.
- To affront or demean: an absurd speech that insulted the intelligence of the audience.
- Obsolete To make an attack on.
- Archaic To behave arrogantly.
- Archaic To give offense; offend: a speech that was intended to insult.
- An offensive action or remark.
- Medicine A bodily injury, irritation, or trauma.
- Something that causes bodily injury, irritation, or trauma: "the middle of the Bronx, buffeted and poisoned by the worst environmental insults that urban America can dish out” ( William K. Stevens).