Lying or being in the middle place or degree, or between two extremes; coming or done between; intervening; interposed; interjacent; as, an intermediate space or time; intermediate colors.
- Lying or occurring between two extremes or in a middle position or state: an aircraft having an intermediate range; an intermediate school.
- One that is in a middle position or state.
- An intermediary.
- Chemistry A substance formed as a necessary stage in the manufacture of a desired end product.
- An automobile that is smaller than a full-sized model but larger than a compact.
- To act as an intermediary; mediate.
- To intervene.