The act of finding out or inventing; contrivance or construction of that which has not before existed; as, the invention of logarithms; the invention of the art of printing.
- The act or process of inventing: used a technique of her own invention.
- A new device, method, or process developed from study and experimentation: the phonograph, an invention attributed to Thomas Edison.
- A mental fabrication, especially a falsehood.
- Skill in inventing; inventiveness: "the invention and sweep of the staging” ( John Simon).
- Music A short composition developing a single theme contrapuntally.
- A discovery; a finding.