To call on for aid or protection; to invite earnestly or solemnly; to summon; to address in prayer; to solicit or demand by invocation; to implore; as, to invoke the Supreme Being, or to invoke His and blessing.
- To call on (a higher power) for assistance, support, or inspiration: "Stretching out her hands she had the air of a Greek woman who invoked a deity” ( Ford Madox Ford).
- To appeal to or cite in support or justification.
- To call for earnestly; solicit: invoked the help of a passing motorist.
- To summon with incantations; conjure.
- To resort to; use or apply: "Shamelessly, he invokes coincidence to achieve ironic effect” ( Newsweek).
- Computer Science To activate or start (a program, for example).