A tract of land surrounded by water, and smaller than a continent. Cf. Continent.
- A land mass, especially one smaller than a continent, entirely surrounded by water.
- Something resembling an island, especially in being isolated or surrounded, as:
- An unattached kitchen counter providing easy access from all sides.
- A raised curbed area, often used to delineate rows of parking spaces or lanes of traffic.
- The superstructure of a ship, especially an aircraft carrier.
- Anatomy A cluster of cells differing in structure or function from the cells constituting the surrounding tissue.
- To make into or as if into an island; insulate: a secluded mansion, islanded by shrubbery and fences.