To place in a detached situation; to place by itself or alone; to insulate; to separate from others.
- To set apart or cut off from others.
- To place in quarantine.
- Chemistry To separate (a substance) in pure form from a combined mixture.
- To render free of external influence; insulate.
- Microbiology To separate (a pure strain) from a mixed bacterial or fungal culture.
- Psychology To separate (experiences or memories) from the emotions relating to them.
- Electricity To set apart (a component, circuit, or system) from a source of electricity.
- Electricity To insulate or shield.
- Solitary; alone.
- A person, thing, or group that has been isolated, as by geographic, ecologic, or social barriers.
- Biology A population of bacteria or other cells that has been isolated.
- Linguistics A language isolate.