An instrument consisting of a thin blade, usually of steel and having a sharp edge for cutting, fastened to a handle, but of many different forms and names for different uses; as, table knife, drawing knife, putty knife, pallet knife, pocketknife, penknife, chopping knife, etc..
- A cutting instrument consisting of a sharp blade attached to a handle.
- A cutting edge; a blade.
- To use a knife on, especially to stab; wound with a knife.
- Informal To betray or attempt to defeat by underhand means.
- To cut or slash a way through something with or as if with a knife: The boat knifed through the waves.
- under the knife Informal Undergoing surgery.